Emotional Messages Beyond Listening Checks
- What Are Emotional Messages
- Hearing Each Other Out: Listening Check
- Going Beyond Listening Check
- Next Steps to Resolve Misaligned Emotional Message
What Are Emotional Messages
- Emotional Messages are the non-verbal/underlying messages we receive from the Speaker.
- The Emotional Message one receives is more important than what’s actually being said.
- It is the Emotional Message that we walk away from our interactions with others that molds and shapes our view of the relationship, of each other, and sometimes, of ourselves.
- Examples:
- The parent says to their teen: “Put on a jacket when you go outside so you don’t catch a cold.”
- The teen hears it as: You’re nagging me; You’re trying to control me; You don’t believe I am capable of making my own decisions on what’s best for me.”
- The parent’s actual intended message could have been: “I love you and don’t want you to catch a cold; I want to protect you from getting sick; I don’t want you to be disappointed that you wouldn’t be able to enjoy this upcoming activity you’ve been looking forward to, if you got sick; I don’t want to have to take care of you when you get sick, when it could’ve been avoidable.”
- Our friend says to us: “Sorry that I can’t make it to our next activity, and would have to cancel.”
- We might hear it as: My friend has something better to do than to spend time with me; I am being rejected by my friend; I am not as important to my friend as their other activity; I am not good enough for my friend; my friend is unreliable; my friend only said yes to our activity out of obligation, they really didn’t want to spend time with me to start with.
- Our friend’s intended message could have been: “I feel guilty for having to cancel our time together; I am so sorry that I double booked; I feel powerless that my parents/this other obligation is making me lose out on our time together; I hate having to miss out on our time together; I feel guilty for having to cancel out on our time together; I hope to get out of our plan since I wasn’t crazy about it to start with, etc”
Hearing Each Other Out: Listening Checks
- Everyone wants to be SEEN, HEARD, UNDERSTOOD, ACCEPTED, and LOVED unconditionally.
- Listening Check is the easiest/surest way to help the listener feel heard by us.
- It demonstrates that we are not just “hearing” what the speaker is saying, but we’re actually paying attention to what’s being said.
- Practicing Listening Check can help both parties to feel heard, and move on to “agreeing to disagree” with one another.
- It is helpful to use this tool especially when we are in a heated disagreement with another person: We can ask for a “pause” during heated argument and ask for a Listening Check.
- It is the least “threatening” way of interacting with anyone.
Going Beyond Listening Check
- After the Speaker has shared and the Listener has done a Listening Check, the Listener gets to share the “Emotional/underlying message” they received from the Speaker.
- The Speaker indicates whether it was the intended message.
- If it wasn’t the intended message, the Speaker states their intended message.
- The Speaker then asks the Listener how they could’ve tweaked what they said so their intended message can be more accurately received.
- The Speaker repeats/restates what the Listener needed to hear from the Speaker as directed by the Listener.
Next Steps to Resolve Misaligned Emotional Message
- When we are surprised or frustrated by the message we perceived by the Speaker, we can ask the Speaker if the emotional message we perceived was their actual intended message.
- We then offer to the Speaker what they could’ve said that would help them to succeed in communicating their intended message.
- When we are surprised by the Listener’s reaction to what we’re saying, we can ask the Listener what message they received by our sharing.
- We then ask the Listener how we could have phrased our intended message such that they could receive what we meant to relay.
- We repeat/restate our intended message by using the words and phrases the Listener is coaching us with.
- It is always wise to do the above with a neutral, curious and gentle stance so the other person doesn’t feel challenged, accused or attacked. Remember: Honey attracts bees, but vinegar sours the teeth.
Comments
Post a Comment